Saturday, January 1, 2011

Finally, ebooks....

I write daily tips for the staff at my school that I distribute via email. Ok, they are daily in theory. I don't know that I published one the entire month of December. Between Book Fair and a yearbook deadline, finding time was a challenge.

For my daily tips I have a theme based on the day of the week. The topics are listed below:

Media Monday - book related
Techno Tuesday - technology tips and tricks
Web Wednesday - a useful website
Tired Thursday - an inspirational or humorous site
Feature Friday - feature what teachers are doing in their classrooms, usually related to technology

Depending on the topic, I may choose to share my daily tips here. Below is Media Monday for January 3.

I am so excited about my first ebook checkout from the public library. When I first got my iPod Touch in October, I tried to figure out a way to checkout ebooks from the public library via the NC Digital Library. I certainly was disappointed to learn that it could not be done. Since that time things have changed. A new app, Overdrive Media Console v2.0, now supports ebooks (http://www.overdrive.com/software/omc/). Previously the Overdrive Media Console only supported audio books. Now I am a big supporter of audio books with our students, but I personally cannot stand audio books. While ebooks could be checked out and read on my computer using Adobe Digital Editions, I was not interested in this avenue. Finally, this new version of Overdrive has made a world of difference in my life.

If you have an iPad, an iPod Touch or a smartphone, you can check out books from the NC Digital Library by downloading the app. Make sure to have your library card number handy. Need help getting started? Let me know. I will be glad to help out. To be honest I had a hard time getting it to work properly at first.

Happy Reading!

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you tried downloading movies from the public library onto your iPad touch? I attempted to earlier this year but didn't follow through with it to know if it is possible.

    Congrats on your new blog and best of luck!
    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have not tried downloading movies. In fact, I did not even know that was possible. Might have to look into that.

    Thanks for stopping by!
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete