Saturday, January 22, 2011

Media Center Welcome

I recently read a post by the Mighty Little Librarian who had started an electronic sign-in for the media center at her school. This is something I have considered for a long time and just had not taken the time to do. The post inspired me to get started. Using Google Docs I created my own electronic sign-in. This went live on Thursday.

So far, I love it. I cannot believe I waited this long to actually start this. Students are getting the hang of it and all of them think it is so cool. Who knew?? The only time we don't sign-in is during homeroom. Of course, this impacts my stats, but I just cannot find a way to quickly get that many students signed-in. Maybe once they grow accustomed to it, we can try again. I love having the information on a spreadsheet. I know that over 90 students came into the media center without a class both Thursday and Friday. We have been signing in on paper all year, and I could not have told you the number who visited each day. I never used that information before, now it is all at my fingertips.

1 comment:

  1. Hi :)
    So I'm really psyched that someone read a post of mine and found it useful! This totally made my day!
    My students have really gotten the hang of using the forms and I'm planning to create a monthly report using the data to help keep track of library statistics.
    Good stuff we have going on here!
    -Tiff (aka Mighty Little Librarian)

    ReplyDelete