Saturday, December 25, 2010

Boys in the Library?

There are numerous articles out there about attracting boys to the library. Well, what about girls? This does not normally seem to be an issue in most media centers, but it appears to be an issue in mine. After recently reading another article about attracting boys to the media center, I began looking at the trends in my own library. I open at 7:30 every morning and students are able to visit the media center during this time. The majority of the students who come to read, use computers, complete homework, checkout books, etc. are boys. In fact, the last day before the holidays there were 10 boys and 1 girl in the media center. Admittedly, this was a slow morning, but every morning the boys far out number the girls. My husband and I have discussed the possible trends that might account for the differences, but there is nothing that stands out. I obviously need to market more to the girls in my building. Any suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment